Elderberry Recipe Gallery
Elderberry Elixer and Tea class notes
Elder flower tea benefits
(substitute elderberries for raspberries)
(subst. elderberries for cherries)
Dumplings with apples
(Allrecipes - but may substitute sugar for honey and 1/4 t ginger powder for ginger root)
(extensive instructions using hygrometer)
* Spray or wipe anything that is left with the green sticky residue from elderberries with cooking oil and then wash. It will come right off. (commonsensehome.com
* Cut berry clusters with scissors, put the clusters in a bag and freeze them. Once frozen, you can just take them out and roll the clusters in your hand and almost all of the berries fall right off.
* Or... To remove elderberries from the stalks easily and quickly use an electric drill with a clean paint stirrer in a large bucket. Add the berries on their stalks and enough water to cover. Whizz them up for about 30 seconds and strain the mixture through a coarse sieve. ( a garden riddle works well) The berries will fall off the stalks easily this way and you can then crush them in the usual way to extract the juuice. (commonsensehome.com
* Start with 1/3 of the recommended sugar for the initial fermentation and cover the jug with a balloon (I used rubber glove instead because that’s what I had) with a pin prick hole in it. When the fermentation gets going, the balloon inflates and when the sugar is running out it will start to deflate. Add another 1/3 of the sugar and cover again- the balloon will inflate again and then deflate. After it deflates and before adding the final 1/3 of the sugar, taste the wine to see how sweet it is. If it is sweet that means you’ve reached maximum alcohol content for the yeast to survive (wine yeasts will only go to about 14% alcohol by volume max) and no more sugar is needed and you’ve got a sweet wine at this point. If it is pretty dry, try adding small amounts of sugar at a time and let the balloon inflate, deflate, taste test, repeat in order to catch the wine at the point of maximum alcohol content and minimum extra sugar...Wild yeast will yield a much lower alcohol content due to the nature of the yeast itself. (commonsensehome.com
* Commercial yeasts will actually kill off acetobacter bacteria, which is what creates acetic acid and turns the wine to vinegar. (commonsensehome.com
* Raisins improve the mouth feel of the wine, giving it caramel elements (more with dark raisins, less with light raisins) and causing the fruitiness of the wine to linger on the tongue longer. (commonsensehome.com
* WV Winemaking
notes Celler Dwellers Original OSB Board Roller Elderberry Sorting Table: "The sorting table was made from OSB board with sides, to keep the berries from jumping out, and slanted into a catch container. Cellar Dweller says that the roughest OSB board does the best job of separating the little stems from the elderberries. We added a shaking motor (jigsaw, no blade) to make the berries jiggle a little more going down the sorting table, helping separate the stems a little faster."